Tuesday 26 April 2011

Mexican trainer feels lucky working with Pacquiao

Posted by chardyboy on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 0 comments

source: abs-cbnNEWS.com

MANILA, Philippines – For one of Manny Pacquiao’s long-time training partners, it's been an honor helping the Filipino champion prepare for his fights.


Mexican boxer Ray Beltran told Ring.tv said he considers himself lucky to be among Pacquiao’s sparring partners.

“It was a great experience. And it still is now,” the Mexican said.

Beltran first joined Pacquiao’s team when the Filipino was preparing against Mexican champ Juan Manuel Marquez in 2004.

Beltran, who was then training at the famous Wild Card Gym in Los Angeles, was recommended to Pacquiao’s coach Freddie Roach.

Beltran immediately grabbed the opportunity, not knowing he would be working with Pacquiao for the next 7 years.

“The first time, the very first round, I was nervous,” recalled Beltran. “The first round was very tough. He hurt me a couple of times with a straight left hand.”

Beltran said the sparring sessions have helped him a lot. “I learned my lesson. I got better and better.”
Years later, Pacquiao became an 8-division champion. Last year, he was also elected as a congressman representing the lone district of Sarangani province.

On May 7, Pacquiao will defend his World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight title against "Sugar" Shane Mosley.

Beltran said he never imagined he would witness Pacquiao's development into a boxing legend.

“When I was a little kid, my idols were Salvador Sanchez, my main idol, and Sugar Ray Leonard and [Julio Cesar] Chavez. Those guys. I never imagined as a little kid in Mexico that I would ever even meet a world champion face to face,” he said.

“To be honest, I feel real lucky… To me, it’s like a dream come true, to be able to help (Pacquiao) with his fights and to be close to him personally. I’m very, very fortunate. I have something to tell my grandchildren when I get old,” Beltran added.

Comments
0 Comments

0 Responses so far:

Leave a Reply